George received two "chapter books" for Christmas...Charlotte's Web by E.B. White and The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame...and since then "chapter books" are basically all that he wants to read at bedtime...occasionally he will pick a story book, but that is only on rare occasions. We have since read Stuart Little also by E.B. White, Farmer Boy by Laura Ingles Wilder (which I think has been his favorite to date) and he is now wrapping up James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl. We are fast approaching the point where Levi and I are at a "dead end" on what to read to him next. Levi remembers reading a science fiction series called The Mushroom Planet by Eleanor Cameron and he thinks George would like those, there is one more children's book by E.B. White, The Trumpet of the Swan, that he would probably like and maybe more by Laura Ingles Wilder if they weren't too girly, but otherwise we are all out of ideas. So, I am coming to you...our loyal family & friends...to help us with ideas for more age appropriate (he just turned 4) children's literature that he may enjoy. Any and all ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!
Ask at the library next time you go.
ReplyDeleteHarry Potter of course, I think George would love The Indian In The Cupboard, there are also a ton of chapter books by Shel Silversteen (author of the Giving Tree and a Light in the Attic). We bought about 10 of those "Childrens Illustrated Classics" for Joe that you are welcome to borrow (20000 Leagues Under the Sea, Swiss Family Robinson, Tom sawyer, Robin Hood, Treasure Island, Huck Finn, Moby Dick, etc.), if you are interested in new stuff the little kids love check out the series with the adventures of the incredible farting dog (should turn up in a search, also, I took Children's Lit. in college and still have all my notes I can pull out the next time you're here for great lists. Love, Lis
ReplyDelete